Course home page: Math 101 Integral Calculus with Applications to Physical Sciences and Engineering
Session 2019W Term 2, January 2020 - April 2020
This is the common web site for all sections of MATH 101 in Term 2 of the 2019W session (January to April 2020).
Most of the information you're looking for will be found on one of the following web pages.
- Individual section web pages: information specific to your section, such as time and location of classes and office hours.
- Grading scheme: the components of how you will be evaluated, and how those components will be combined into your overall grade. Short version: 20% homework, 20% midterm, 60% final.
- Homework: web-based weekly homework assignments (WeBWorK) and suggested problems, all to get you ready for the midterm.
- Midterm: in-class midterm to be held for MWF classes on Friday Feb. 14th and for TTh
classes on Feb. 13th. This midterm, and the Webwork, will help build skills
for the final exam.
- Final exam: covers the entire syllabus, and is worth 60 percent of your overall grade.
- Missed assessment: what to do if you miss a homework, a quiz, or the final exam.
- Academic misconduct: we know you don't want to cheat; here's some information to support you.
- Helpful resources: the course textbook and other online resources.
- Syllabus, learning goals: what topics you're going to learn, what specific items you'll be learning, and when you'll be learning them.
- Helpful people: office hours and tutorial centre hours, and other helpful information, both for calculus and for life challenges in general.
- Piazza: an online discussion forum, specifically for our class.
Important note: Fok-Shuen Leung's
(Vantage College) MATH 101 section
is different in some ways from
the rest of the course; all the information on this common web site
applies to that section, except where explicitly overridden by
information on the section's web page.
Registration for MATH 101
To enroll in MATH 101, a student must have passed (or claimed credit for) one of the following prerequisite courses: MATH 100, MATH 102, MATH 104, MATH 110, MATH 111, MATH 120, MATH 180, or MATH 184. Most commonly, students who took MATH 100/180 follow up with MATH 101, while students who took MATH 102/182 or MATH 104/184 follow up with MATH 103 or MATH 105, respectively; however, this is not mandatory.
Important registration note: Individual instructors do not have the authority to sign forms to change your registration (please don't ask them). Instead, the Mathematics Department handles all requests for registration changes centrally.
For students in MWF sections, the first day of class is Monday, January 6th 2020 and the last day of class is Wednesday, April 8th 2020. For students in TTh sections, the first day of class is Tuesday, January 7th 2020 and the last day of class is Tuesday, April 7th 2020. Midterm break is February 17th–21st 2020; there will be no classes that week.